AS 03.47.010. Importation. The importation into the state of bees on bee combs and used beekeeping equipment is prohibited. Section comb honey for human consumption may be imported into the state.
AS 03.47.020. Importation of Bees. All bees imported into the state shall be accompanied by a health certificate that states that the bees come from an apiary apparently free of bee diseases and that is signed by an apiary inspector determined to be qualified by the division.
AS 03.47.030. Duties of the Division. (a) The division shall investigate reported cases of diseased bees and cases of diseased bees
(b) The division shall take action necessary to prevent the spread of bee diseases. Bees or used beekeeping equipment found to contain the causative organisms of American foulbrood (Bacillus larvae) or European foulbrood (Streptococcus pluton) shall be immediately quarantined and treated within five days by
(1) chamber fumigation using ethylene oxide or other gases approved by the division;
(2) sterilization by boiling in lyewater for at least 15 minutes; or
(3) destruction of bees, bee combs, and frames by burning followed by burying 18 inches deep.
(c) Notwithstanding (b) of this section, hive boxes, top and bottom boards found to contain the causative organisms of American foulbrood (Bacillus larvae) or European foulbrood (Streptococcus pluton) may be salvaged by scorching inside surfaces and edges using a flame to produce a light brown charring of the wood unless the boxes, top and bottom boards are in poor condition due to weathering, rotting, or ant tunneling.
(d) A quarantine imposed under this section may not be removed until infected bees and used beekeeping equipment are destroyed or the division determines through testing that the used beekeeping equipment is free of the disease.
(e) The division shall adopt regulations necessary to carry out the purposes of this chapter.
AS 03.47.035. Penalty. A person who violates this chapter or a regulation adopted under this chapter is guilty of a class B misdemeanor
AS 03.47.040. Definitions. In this chapter
(1) "bees" means honey-producing insects of the genus Apis and includes the adults, eggs, larvae, pupae, and other immature stages of the insects;
(2) "division" means the division of agriculture, Department of Natural Resources;
(3) "used beekeeping equipment" means equipment that has been used to feed or house bees, including hive boxes, frames, pollen traps, queen excluders, inner covers, supers, tops, bottom boards, slatted racks, and bee combs, or other wooden or plastic beehive parts that have been in contact with honeybees.